Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hot VS. Beautiful


Earlier this month I was chatting with some Young Men - you know those goofy boys that either tease you or ignore you at mutual? Yea, them. And because I knew these YM quite well, I brought up the topic of girls and who they were liking or dating or hanging out with.

Most of the YM were very respectful talking about the girls they liked. They described the girls as "beautiful" and "fun", "kind" and "smart". And even though those may sound like simple or silly descriptions, I thought they were pretty good for teenage boys :)

However, one of the boys worried me with how he described the girl he liked. She was "hot!" That was it! I couldn't get him past calling her "hot" to find out anything else about this girl. But then I realized that he probably didn't know anything else about her if all he was noticing was her level of hotness.

So here's the deal and my little rant for YM even though they don't read this blog. GIRLS ARE NOT HOT. As soon as you call a girl "hot" you are turning her into an OBJECT FOR LOOKING AT and nothing more.

Now girls. Why do I share this with you? Because you are SO MUCH MORE THAN BEING HOT. You are a daughter of God who is beautiful, unique, and special. I know you worry about looking pretty and wearing the right clothes or styles. I know you worry about if a certain boy notices you. But make sure you really want that boy to notice you, does he like hot girls or beautiful girls? Does he notice your true beauty or just your body? Does he appreciate your talents, humor, and goals?



Beauty is deep. It is real. It is defining. It is empowering. 

It encompasses your heart, your dreams, your zest for life. It's your quirks, your silliness, and your smile.

It's your smarts, your determination. Your confidence and joy.

Being beautiful is so much more than the fleeting appearance of being "hot." You are a beautiful daughter of God. Remember that. And remember to surround yourself with friends (and those silly boys) who believe the same and treat you with the respect that beauty deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment